In single-player games, players play alone, learning how to hunt elk, communicate with other wolves, find a mate, establish a den and territory, raise pups, and embark on a perilous journey to a summering site. Players configure their wolf avatar at the start of the game (choosing its gender, coat pattern and color, and name) before venturing into the wild. As a wolf, they hunt and eat prey such as elk, moose, hares, mule deer. They compete with other predators such as bears, coyotes, and stranger wolves.
In multiplayer games, players join up to eight players online to explore the Yellowstone wilderness and hunt elk, and raise pups together. The game is not a massive multiplayer online game.
There are two types of multiplayer games:
- Public games: Anyone can join, featuring text chat.
- Private games: Private games with friends (All Friends, Selected Friends, and Selected Packs) feature text and phrase chat (not yet available for WQ:AE).
Players under 13 only have No Chat as an option in public games. Players under 13 can use Text Chat in private games with friends.
Where does the game take place?
- Amethyst Mountain is the first episode. You are a two-year old wolf out on your own, seeking a mate. To gain experience, you hunt elk and hares, chase off predators, such as coyotes and bears, or fight or flee from stranger wolves encountered on your journey. Find a dispersal wolf who will become your wolf's mate.
- Slough Creek is the setting of the next episode: Survival of the Pack. There, you and your mate establish a territory and raise a litter of pups: training them, feeding them, defending them against predators, and finally taking them on a cross-country journey to a summer home. Ultimately, success depends on your ability to ensure the survival of your pack.
- Lost River is a purely fictional location set in an unknown valley somewhere in western America. This map features a mysterious, dilapidated city that was abandoned some years ago by humans. In WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition, the Lost River Classic map is available as early access for PC and Mac.
- STILL TO COME! The story of your pack will continue in the Saga -- an upcoming expansion (free to anyone who owns the game) where you can live the entire life of your wolf. The seasons roll by as you raise a new litter of pups every year: feeding them, defending them from competitors, and helping them learn how to hunt big prey. Yearlings help with the new pups until they too may decide to disperse and join or form another pack. With tenacity and skill (and some luck), build your legacy of skilled hunters and pack leaders! Can you survive long enough to become a legendary wolf of Yellowstone?
Time to Play
The single-player mission in Amethyst Mountain can take anywhere between 30 minutes to 6 hours to complete.
The missions in Slough Creek can take as little as 45 minutes to complete, but players can play some missions indefinitely.
The Lost River map is designed for open exploration. It includes the "find a mate" mission but does not continue on to pup-raising and players choose the amount of time they spend in Lost River.
A new episode/map called Tower Fall is currently in development. Learn more on our developer’s blog at WolfQuest.org/blog.
Players can spend as much time as they like playing multiplayer missions on the different maps, and can continue playing the game in single player even after you have completed most of the missions.